People are happiest when they feel safe. Especially those that rush from one level to the next, sometimes two stairs at a time. While often overlooked, proper stairwell design is critical in balancing safety with performance, and goes a long way toward realizing a long-term return.
According to a major liability insurance provider, slip/fall accidents account for 21 percent of the direct cost of disabling workplace injuries. That's about $8 billion a year. And $3.5 billion of that is a result of falls to lower levels. Add in the costs of lost productivity, increased administrative time and legal fees. Plus just try to put a figure on the pain and suffering of the people. Lots of them.
Proper stairwell management in commercial flooring can help minimize this risk while maximizing performance. Rather than interrupt the flow of a space, our rubber and vinyl stairwell solutions enhance them. Every component is designed to work with all other elements in the space within rubber or vinyl flooring. Allowing people to move safely and comfortably through the ups and downs of their day. For added safety, ensure that all treads include contrasting strips that aid the visually impaired.
Safety equals happiness. Happiness equals productivity. Productivity equals profitability. That's Balanced Choice.
- In public places, 2001 death rates from falls were up 7 percent from 2000.
- Each year there are over 3 million disabling stair fall accidents.
- The estimated lifetime cost associated with falls in the U.S. is $12.6 billion.
- The average award from a legal claim is $125,000.
- Experts say more than 70 percent of all stairwells have at least one defect.
- The average cost per slip/fall claim is $14,000.